SCIENCE!

In a world of rules and regulations, in here, anything goes… except boobies :(

Re: SCIENCE!

Postby professor science » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:21 pm

I agree with DW. We spend 8 months in daylight savings time, so we should say that the other 4 months are daylight losing time.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:25 pm

Daylight savings time is such a crock of shit it's not even funny.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
Maraschino Larry

Postby professor science » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:52 pm

US economy loses 433 million dollars every DST switch.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby mushroom_curry » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:58 pm

hahahahahaha... hahaha... we humans are quite funny.
you won't curry any favours with me.
mushroom_curry

Postby tripwalking » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:33 am

I don't care what time it is when it's light outside. While we're at it, let's make it always 1:00 pm in Alaska for most of the year.

www.vr6coilbracket.com
Collector of Kartell relics.
tripwalking

Postby professor science » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:47 pm

this should really be in a NATURE! thread, but "meh!"

professor science
Site Admin

Postby tripwalking » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:44 am

That's an amazing wonder right there.

www.vr6coilbracket.com
tripwalking

Postby professor science » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:38 am

:)

professor science
Site Admin

Postby professor science » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:35 pm

From the Smithsonian website:

Once you’ve picked your jaw from the floor, here’s what you’re looking at: the final stop of this zoom, which spans multiple orders of magnitude, is a little bacterium. That bacterium is resting on a diatom, a class of algae that are known for their silica shells. The diatom is, in turn, sitting on an amphipod, a type of shell-less crustacean.

Reddit’s adamwong246 said it best, “There’s a bacterium on a diatom on an amphipod on a frog on a bump on the log in the hole in the bottom of the sea!”

The animated gif was made by James Tyrwhitt-Drake using a scanning electronic microscope at the University of Victoria’s Advanced Microscopy Facility. Tyrwhitt-Drake runs the blog Infinity Imagined.

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... -the-rest/

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:17 pm

Enhance :shock:
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby professor science » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:32 pm

I've been flipping through that guy's tumblr… holy f***

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:06 pm

That is unreal.

This is what deserves to make headlines... We are living in incredible times and you'd never know it by the events we highlight in "the news".
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:45 pm

.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Maraschino Larry » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:27 pm

Wild
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby professor science » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:04 pm

Whoa. I think I found a new avatar. (via i09)

geekosystem wrote:Described by one observer as "strangely alive" and similar to a "giant alien maggot," the trunk/Doc Ock arms were created with 3D-printed segments and connected by pneumatic artifical muscles... it also has artificial intelligence and muscle memory! It's programmed to learn in much the same way a human baby does – through a process of trial and error. Called "goal babbling," the robot trunk can attempt to grab something; remember what went wrong; make tiny adjustments in its own positioning and muscle behaviour; and then try the grab again, until it finally gets it right.

Full Article:
http://www.geekosystem.com/doc-oc-elephant-trunk/

professor science
Site Admin

Postby tripwalking » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:03 am

Anyone have any experience with "grounding", or "earthing"... That is, connecting physically to the earth to reduce inflammation in the body and promote health?

www.vr6coilbracket.com
tripwalking

Postby Dreamstate » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:31 pm

What is this "energy" that the earth gives us when we touch it?

Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Postby Dreamstate » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:39 pm

I'm a big skeptic, so I drew a parallel to the magnet therapy.
While these products might be bogus, it doesn't mean that some people won't have positive reactions to them.
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Postby professor science » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks Randy.

This is a lesson between correlation and causation. Just because A happens after B, and there may be an increase in A as there is an increase in B, this does not directly mean that A causes B. There could be other confounding factors that are not controlled for in the research.

Most things that are associated with "natural" healing are crap. There is no complimentary and alternative medicine. There is only medicine. If the CAM treatment can be shown to be effective beyond the placebo effect, then it will be accepted by those in the field of modern medicine. Aspirin is a great example. It is a compound found originally in willow bark. Aspirin *is* a "natural" remedy, and it has been accepted by modern medicine as it is effective.

As for grounding/earthing: If it's promoted by Dr. Mercola, it's usually crap.

I've been searching for scholarly articles not associated with the Journal of Complimentary and Alternative Medicine and I haven't been able to find much. With the knowledge I have right now, I'm going to say that there's no mechanism for it. There's one article posted by the Institute of Physics, but it's a record from a conference proceeding, and those aren't up to the same scrutiny of other articles (it also says nothing positive, just sums up some research).

If I find evidence suggesting certainty (Pro or Con) I'll link it.

professor science
Site Admin

Postby professor science » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Found this:
Relating Creatinine and Blood Urea during exercise.
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2013/382643/abs/

It's from the journal:
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Volume 2013 (2013), Article ID 382643, 6 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/382643

You can download the paper if you want.
The "evidence" doesn't support anything, and this is within an article attempting to promote it! 42 people were tested (small sample) and no control of diet was put in place. The error bars on the graphs overlap in almost all data points. One data point doesn't. If the magnitude of the error is greater than the difference in the two points then you can't really conclude that your difference is significant.

It's like saying that I have $1 000 000 ± $60 000 and you have $1 000 010 ± $60 000 and then stating that you are, without a doubt, richer than me. There is too much uncertainty in our measurement to effectively and irrefutably make that conclusion.

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:26 pm

.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby tripwalking » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:33 pm

[sorry DW, I accidentally hit edit instead of quote and erased a paragraph, it was something about how it makes sense to you as the body is electrical and operates at a certain frequency] :(

Get a voltmeter that measures in millivolts. Stick the black probe in the bottom prong of an electrical outlet (ground), and hold on to the red probe. If I'm not mistaken, that's measuring the millivolts in your system. Move around your house, noting the varying readings. Turn the TV on, then unplug it. Now, if you can, touch the earth somehow - your voltage will drop to the millivolt range. Is it better for our bodies to operate under that low millivolt range, or is having 9 volts in our system ok? 9 volts is a long way from about 10 mv that our bodies produce naturally.
tripwalking

Postby professor science » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:30 pm

Humans are great at sense making. If we see an effect we will attempt to determine why it works, but without vigorous research into the nature of the effect and how it is translated into our complex body system can't actually say we understand it. We won't know enough to determine whether or not it is something that we need to worry about. Classical mythology (roman/greek/norse/etc.) made sense of the effects that they saw, but they definitely didn't understand the nature of cause and effect to the level that we do today. We need to understand something, not just be able to make sense of it, to implement it.

The science that has been done about earthing is, at best, inconclusive, and, at worst, poorly done. This isn't because scientists aren't thinking about the body as a bioelectrical system, but because there is no evidence to support this idea. Earthing was proposed in the 1920s and if this was a real and measurable effect then there would be much more research into it's impact.

I asked my cousin (Ph.D. Cognitive Neuroscience - Professor at Brock), to read through a few things to determine if the article quality was indicative of good research and what he essentially said is that every study done so far has shown a complete lack of rigour. Lack of control groups, lack of double blind trials, poor statistical evaluation, etc. Essentially the scientists doing this research had no idea what they were doing.

In addition, the companies charged with publishing the articles are notorious for PPP (pay to publish) practices. If you have enough money, you can get your article published, regardless of the quality of the work you have done. On top of this, the impact of the journal is incredibly low (published papers don't have much of an effect in their own field).

-----

If you want to walk around barefoot, go for it! It feels great! But what ever you "feel" after walking barefoot may not be attributable to Earthing. It may just be because walking around with no shoes on feels good because it's different.

professor science
Site Admin

Postby professor science » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:36 pm

professor science
Site Admin

Postby professor science » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:47 pm

trip walking wrote:Get a voltmeter that measures in millivolts. Stick the black probe in the bottom prong of an electrical outlet (ground), and hold on to the red probe. If I'm not mistaken, that's measuring the millivolts in your system. Move around your house, noting the varying readings. Turn the TV on, then unplug it. Now, if you can, touch the earth somehow - your voltage will drop to the millivolt range. Is it better for our bodies to operate under that low millivolt range, or is having 9 volts in our system ok? 9 volts is a long way from about 10 mv that our bodies produce naturally.

I'm not sure I'm following.

A voltmeter will measure potential difference. If you plug it in, you will measure the difference in energy (per electron) between your body and ground. Plug the voltmeter into the wall and hold onto it, but if you turn things on and off, you shouldn't see much of a change regarding your potential difference to ground.

It is important that you are always comparing your voltage relative to one point (ground). It is also then important for the variation of your measurements to be attributable to the change and not just a coincidence.

professor science
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic