Tuning

Steve's Reflex Silver Mk4 Jetta

Moderator: square head

Tuning

Postby square head » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:55 am

Gretta drove from Waterloo to Cambridge this morning.

:D

Water-Meth:

Progressive controller turns on at 2 psi with maximum at 10 psi. No hesitation (flame quenching) at the low end. Tuning this stuff is as simple as inject as much as possible as early in the powerband as possible without extinguishing combustion. Done.

Boost:

She starts making boost at 3700 rpm (not bad for a little with a 57 trim .63 a/r and massive equal lenth runner manifold to fill up). I don't think my exhaust leaks are bad / significant as I previously thought. Need to check intake side leaks. Timo confirmed 20 psi @ 7000 rpm in second gear. This is with boost pressure plumbed direct to wastegate. In other words... I think the wastegate is seized shut. Will troubleshoot tonight (good old bike pump / remove all plumbing to it - driveability test). Anymore than 23 psi with proper timing would grenade by bottom end. I need to watch it...

Now that my ears are used to the noise, I can hear diverter valve doing its thing by the way Randy.

Timing:

From a seat of the pants dyno, I know my timing sucks. The tires (bald T1-S) should be evaporating in second and third gear above 5000 rpm. A turbo this large cramming air through the stock side mount intercooler means massive heat soak. There isn't too much intake plumbing between IC for the water / meth to evaporate and pull down intake temperatures before sensor. All I can do is run some third gear logs, advance timing until the knock sensors starts retarding and run it at this point. My A/F ratio is healthy 12 - 13 at WOT in boost.

Please comment / add witty remark.

I love playing with cars.
Laser-Induced Interstitial Thermotherapy
square head

Re: Tuning

Postby square head » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Baseline Run:

I've got this Revo SPS3 dongle that can play sections of the maps. Lemmiwinks software is also able to fool the ECU's adaptation channels that play with the entire maps.

I purchased a used ECU that matches my injectors, turbo and fuel pressure regulator. However I don't know what SPS3 parameters were used.

I did a third gear log from 1280 rpm to 6680 rpm. I was only able to get 24 data point which isn't enough for my liking. From now on I'll do 4th gear pulls.

Ambient temperature was 22 degrees (confirmed via weather.ca). At 1280 rpm intake temperature was 30 degrees.

At 2 psi: 2640 rpm (water / meth on) intake temperature hit 27 degrees.
At 5 psi: 3720 rpm intake temperature hit 24 degrees.
At 10 psi: 4280 rpm intake temperature hit 21 degrees!

That's right... Intake temperatures were the same as ambient! You can't get colder unless you were to chill the water / meth with dry ice / A/C / refridgeration. Throw out your intercoolers boys.

At 12.5 psi: 5280 rpm intake temperature hit 27 degrees.
At 15 psi: 6480 rpm intake temperature hit 30 degrees.

I may need a bigger nozzle. I'm going to lower my upper set point 10 psi.

The good news is that timing appears to be very, very conservative. As does desired boost (ECU is asking for 11 psi). Timing pull was zero. Time to increase desired boost and advance timing slowly.
square head

Postby gregosh » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:01 pm

Steve, you inspire me :heart:

I think I just may go home today and screw on another missing dash trim piece in the Golf!

Very happy that you're making progress, looks like getting it ready for H20 shouldn't be a problem, now the hard part will be making sure that the tranny and diff don't get shredded into pieces!
gregosh

Postby square head » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:23 pm

In fourth I can already smell a little bit of clutch.

I've got some redline tranny fluid and a pump waiting. Another addition to the to-do list.

No power shifts in this car. Just highway pulls.
square head

Postby professor science » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:31 pm

Steve, this is awesome to read.

Get that clutch sorted this week! lol.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Dreamstate » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:47 pm

before you go throwing away your intercooler, plumb up some dumb piping and do a direct comparison of temps with and without intercooler. that's what i would find most interesting, as I have not seen any direct comparisons before.
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Postby square head » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:08 pm

Sounds like a good post h2o but pre winter project

I have plently of spare plumbing in the garage to mock something up. I'll leave the two nozzle locations unchanged.

Keep in mind the IC adds resistence to flow for that is the entire concept of an IC. The longer the air is in contact with the bar and plate, the greater the opportunity to transfer heat to the atmosphere. This would help spool greatly which right now sucks.
square head

Postby square head » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:20 pm

Gretta consumed 1 litre of water / meth yesterday

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?cmd ... id=4033854
square head

Postby Dreamstate » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

That's a *lot*
Much, much more than I have read for regular driving.
But since you're starting at 2psi, and doing tuning, it makes sense.
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Postby square head » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:09 pm

From my logs it appears as though I'm injecting too much at 10 psi. Refer to vortex post. I went through 3 litres in 2 days :mrgreen:
square head

Postby tripwalking » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:29 pm

I can't explain how out of my league I feel right now...

"no way man, you need to turn the screw CLOCKWISE!"
Collector of Kartell relics.
tripwalking

Return to Gretta the Jetta