Introducing... a vehicle I never thought I'd own

Like an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in chinchilla, LBM will bring you in and out of consciousness with alternating waves of outer space-like freshness and pharaonic opulence. You can think of the Paris based design firm like a renaissance man from the future, whose inspirations age timeless, yet capture and astound those in the present.

Moderator: Maraschino Larry

Introducing... a vehicle I never thought I'd own

Postby Maraschino Larry » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:02 am

This comes as little surprise given my recent hijack of the "don't want to start a new thread" thread, but I pulled the trigger on a CX9 last week, and took delivery yesterday. We realized more space than the Escape allows would really do us good, as on multiple occasions we've completely maxed it out... even with a car top carrier. Adding another gigantor babby seat and we're going to be in a pickle. The sacrifice for succumbing to this convenience is the trips where it'll be hauling one person, and moving from ~29 mpg to something like 19. I can live with that, especially when factoring in the creature comforts gained in moving to this type of vehicle. After exhaustive Internets searches we agreed (pending real life validation) the CX9 was definitely the 7 seater for us.

The plan was to wait the few months of remaining GTI payments for a seamless transition, but this particular vehicle popped up locally CPO with the EXACT colour/options I would have spec'd new, and in very clean condition traded from the original owner. After a quick test drive the choice became clear.

It's virtually identical to this vehicle.

Only difference in options is ours doesn't have the nav/power liftgate package. I'm happy about the lack of nav... by 2011 the OEM system was already outdated, and in its place I have a very slick unit which retains full bluetooth functionality, and oddly, the reverse camera too. It also has the dealer option roof rails and trailer hitch, two items which I would have purchased regardless. It also got 4 new tires and front brakes as part of CPO prep, so this is all money in my pocket as far as I'm concerned.

First impressions are very good... even with the all seasons on it currently it did fantastically with the insane roads this weekend. I'll likely be picking up a winter package but this was a pleasant surprise. The interior is a VERY nice place to spend time. The features abound and the materials are quite nice. Above all the design is very clean and I think it will age well. This is a big beast though... it's funny how small the GTI looks when parked nose to nose in our driveway. It certainly doesn't feel as big as it is though, no other vehicle of its size that I've driven comes close in terms of driving dynamics. One feature I never thought I'd care about is the blind spot monitoring, but given the fact it feels so much smaller than it is I think it's probably a good idea. Another would be the smart key. There is something very luxurious about unlocking and starting it without fumbling for a key, and then pressing play on the dash and streaming music from the phone in my pocket. They also allow you to associate the smart keys with a seat memory position, meaning when you enter the vehicle it will automatically adjust your seat without having to press the memory button. This last bit is reading like a "first world solutions" meme waiting to happen so I'm going to stop.

Anyways thanks for reading. Time will tell but for now I'm pretty smitten... it's a wonder these didn't sell better IMO. It was 2008 North American truck of the year, and Motor Trend's SUV of the year, and a really nice package when stacked up against its rivals. I think part of the issue is it's kind of in no-man's land in the segment. I'd say its closest competitor would be the Acura MDX, but at least with it you get some badge caché for your $50k, and I think this matters to a good number of buyers. Would I pay that much for it? Probably not... but I'm quite pleased to pay 1/2 of that a mere 3 years later :D
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
Maraschino Larry

Re: Introducing... a vehicle I never thought I'd own

Postby Dreamstate » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:21 pm

That's looks like a good snag for a 7 seater. And with something that size, a rear camera has to be nice when backing.
So many posh options, no wonder it was $50k new. It's amazing the deals you get only a few years out.
Next up, axis spins.
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Postby Maraschino Larry » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:07 pm

Next up is some winter shoes BECAUSE of the axis spins... my drive today was no bueno. I think I found a great deal on Kijiji... heading to look at them tonight after work.

I should remark this is a vehicle of firsts. First automatic... which in a vehicle this size is completely okay with me. Also first Japanese vehicle. In fact, these are completely built in Japan!
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby tripwalking » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:24 pm

What's the bolt pattern? I have the A4 winter wheels from the Passat that I should get on kijiji stat if they won't fit on the niner.
Collector of Kartell relics.
tripwalking

Postby Maraschino Larry » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:26 pm

5x114.3... most 17s don't play nicely with the brakes though. 18s or bigger for me. If I still had the steelies from my mkIV I's be half way there lol
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby professor science » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:19 pm

Looks pretty good there Rick! What nav unit do you have?
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:57 pm

Thank you sir... white is definitely its colour, it plays down all the chrome. It's a pearl white too which I didn't know until picking it up lol... it was so snowy when I test drive it I couldn't tell.

It's got this head unit... no nav
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Dreamstate » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Yeah, I'm not sold on any factory navigation option. Different story when you're leasing and getting a new one every 3 years, but tech, especially mobile tech, moves too quickly for me to justify adding it as an option.
With a couple of car companies now dabbling with Android, I can see this changing. Auto updating mapping software and data whenever you're parked at home, being able to choose your preferred map software. That's the way to go.
Dreamstate

Postby Maraschino Larry » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 pm

Word. I only use nav for long drives to odd places anyways... In the escape I found streaming music via Bluetooth and having the nav interrupt the audio works well enough... I haven't really missed the map and can pull out the phone the odd time I need to.

I ended up snagging a brand new set of Blizzak DM V1s in the factory 20" sizing for $600...retail is over $1100. In a perfect world I would have sized down to 18s and had a second set of wheels, but even that is way more expensive than these, plus you need a second set of TPMs... I think this'll work fine. I'll casually watch for a second set of OEM wheels to pop up.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby professor science » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:37 pm

There are a few aftermarket android head units that offer screen mirroring. So whatever device you have you can show its screen on the HU. Sounds good to me.

Though this looks pretty wicked (new TT)

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:40 pm

I loved that whole interior :heart:
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Dreamstate » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:25 am

That dash is CRAZY.

I like the idea of the mirroring. That's pretty interesting.
Dreamstate

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Thought I'd post a quick update...

I drive the CX9 4/5 work days and I have to say I'm shocked by how much I enjoy it. Love the tech and the overall feel of it. Now that it has the Blizzaks I can properly judge the AWD system and it's pretty damn good, I can't detect any slip before grip which is impressive in a reactive system like this. The tech behind it was Volvo developed (acquired via Ford ties) so maybe that has something to do with it.

Things I don't like:

- The wide open design of the wheels when driven in deep snow created lots of snow packed in the inside of the wheels, when parked overnight it freezes into gigantic counterweights hellbent on sending the wheels into orbit. I keep a wooden spoon in the car to dislodge these boogers, not ideal but at least it's a solution.

- 17 mpg. I should note there's a pretty good amount of idling in there. Between that and the winter tires/gas I expect to see around 20 mpg for the other 3 seasons which I can totally live with.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby tripwalking » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:24 am

17 mpg... Lucky you.

www.vr6coilbracket.com
tripwalking

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:08 am

Haha... but you're used to getting poor mileage. The last time I got worse than ~28mpg was when I had the Golf on the road :lol:
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Dreamstate » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:44 am

Sounds like you're enjoying it. Apart from some fuel consumption inconvenience which you have to deal with when driving a bigger vehicle, sounds like you have a winner. And you didn't have to buy a mini-van!
Dreamstate

Postby tripwalking » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:17 pm

amen to the mini van avoidance!
tripwalking

Postby wide_load » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:03 pm

+1 life points!
Oh Hi Dere... welcome to my sig!
wide_load

Postby mushroom_curry » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:35 pm

subscribed now that I know this is here.
you won't curry any favours with me.
mushroom_curry

Postby Maraschino Larry » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:42 pm

Don't expect too much action lol.

I'll do a mini update to comment it was a dream to take it to Muskoka and back. Had 6 people in it for the first time. Got 21 mom with some round town mixed in. No buyer's remorse on this one.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby mushroom_curry » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 pm

Nice!!! Using it to its potential!
mushroom_curry

Postby professor science » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:59 pm

21 moms?! Damn!

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:12 pm

Hahahaha... yeah man this thing just attracts 'em.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:04 am

Don't you own a bronco now too?
mushroom_curry

Return to Luxurious' Bespoke Motorcars