Shaved Bay Pet Peeves.....

Contains formal style discussions relating to VWs and other automobiles.

Moderator: Maraschino Larry

Shaved Bay Pet Peeves.....

Postby diagnosis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:05 pm

.... because I know there is more than one of us considering this. :)

For some reason, I find a flaw with almost every 'shaved bay' that I come accross, either in person, or in picture form. The only exception I can think of for me is Scootermans Mk2.
I probably don't have any right verbally tearing apart anyone who has put a lot of effort into a project such as this, but I am personally looking for some insight for a project of my own. Almost a 'to do', actually a 'not to do' list, if I do end up going this route.

I'll probably get more excited and less bitter as this thread gets going (if it does), but for now some of my pet peeves.

What I dislike
- I dislike any plumbing style 'gear' clamps used on a so called 'finished' bay.
- OEM, original finish, bolts.
- OEM heatshielding still in place behind the exhaust manifold/header.
- Heavily modified VR6 intake manifolds, without the original plastic wire guides (modified or not)
- Overly modified frame rails/strut towers.
- Holes left in place that do not serve a purpose.
- A/C. (esthetically of course)

I can't find any pictures on my harddrive at the moment, but please post some up, so they can be verbally torn apart. :lol:
diagnosis

Re: Shaved Bay Pet Peeves.....

Postby Dreamstate » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:27 pm

Oh yes. I would love to do it. But with my cars, it's not really an option. I will be able to tuck more of the harness once i go standalone, but thinking about shaving all that stuff just plain hurts my head.

- I dislike any plumbing style 'gear' clamps used on a so called 'finished' bay.
Here here! I don't even like them in my lame dirty bay. They tear up the hoses after just a few uses. Stainless T-bolt clamps are only $8 each. After all that work I can't believe when I see worm clamps.

- OEM, original finish, bolts.
I'm cool with this. Of course they shouldn't be scuffed or have any surface rust.

- OEM heatshielding still in place behind the exhaust manifold/header.
x2 But for a car that is actually driven, it would be required to keep the paint from peeling. It could be easily removable for shows though.

- Heavily modified VR6 intake manifolds, without the original plastic wire guides (modified or not)
I've seen some good examples of aftermarket wire runners. But overall I agree.

- Overly modified frame rails/strut towers.
!!! I wouldn't want my frame rails to look like they just came out of a cloud machine. This really bugs me.

- Holes left in place that do not serve a purpose.
x2

- A/C. (esthetically of course)
It's cool if they leave it in. It has been done well before. Especially when it's all high polished and whatnot. I like it.
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Return to Styling Discussions