New Skin

Moderator: Dreamstate

New Skin

Postby Dreamstate » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:08 pm

Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Re: Update

Postby Dreamstate » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:34 pm

I have a shop locked down for a complete respray in the spring. The guy stopped by today and we went over every inch of the car. It has had a respray done in the past, so there's no original paint to preserve.
My wife works with a lady who's husband owns a body shop that mostly does classic car restoration. Work is going to be top notch but with a friendly discount. :D
Dreamstate

Postby gregosh » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:45 pm

Good to hear! What's the extent of the respray? Interior is staying in tact? Engine bay? Same colour I'm assuming?
gregosh

Postby Maraschino Larry » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:03 pm

That's interesting about it having been resprayed in the past!
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
Maraschino Larry

Postby Dreamstate » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:04 am

There is one spot that I could tell was resprayed and blended. Red is the toughest to blend and match I hear.
The hood I did expect to have been resprayed, it has a clear coat when Guards Red never had the clear coat treatment originally. The rest of the car I assumed was original, but an expert eye told me otherwise. It must have been a pretty good job!

I would have loved to do a complete colour change, but the costs of doing that to a bright coloured car is prohibitive. Drop engine, pull off fenders, remove sunroof, remove all interior.. it's just too much to do it all correctly. A black or slate grey would be much more forgiving if the engine bay would stay the original colour, but not red.
Dreamstate

Re: New Skin

Postby Dreamstate » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:45 pm

I stumbled across Peru Red.

100% better looking than Guards Red.
Question is, could I get away with a Guards Red engine bay and underbody? Or am I asking for future trouble?
Dreamstate

Postby Dreamstate » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:13 pm

After much thought, I'll be keeping the original Guards Red colour. I don't know what I was thinking, having two different colours on the car would bug the heck out of me, even if it wasn't visible! I wouldn't shrug it off like I did with the Benz.

That said, are there any subtle modifications that I should consider while it's in the body shop? Since I'm new to the 964 world, I may have missed noticing minor visible changes that other owners have done. However, I don't want to go as far as removing the drip rail.
Dreamstate

Postby Dreamstate » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:13 pm

The ketchupy red still tickles me though.
Dreamstate

Postby mushroom_curry » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:54 am

Just found this thread!
Glad you are staying the same colour.

It's so tempting to go a slight different gray. I would have gone BMW Space Grey on my car or ice violet gray... Came close, but in the end staying the same colour was a decision I can stand by.

Probably better for the value of the car, even though the ketchupy red is sorta meaner looking, the guard red is hot!
you won't curry any favours with me.
mushroom_curry

Postby Dreamstate » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:53 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Paint shop fell through.
Any suggestions for a shop that won't have dollar signs in their eyes as soon as they see the car?
Dreamstate

Postby mushroom_curry » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:17 pm

Yes, I just saw that a friend (Alex Gibson / angrycanadian on Instagram) took his car to a shop that performs utter magic when it comes to paint.

He specifically took his car there for a blow in/clean up in certain areas, and he says the work was top notch. He's pickier than I am about these things so I am sure they are at least worth looking into for reviews/costs.

smartautorepair.ca in Milton. They work mainly on high end cars, but apparently don't have the high end rates.

If you need me to put you in touch with Alex directly I can introduce you via WhatsApp or something.

PS: Not to put a stick in your plans or anything, but every time I look at your car I think, if you had someone do a great blow-in and you could keep most of the original paint, that might do wonders for longevity in personal ownership and/or resale? I do love the colour that's on there at the moment.
mushroom_curry

Postby Dreamstate » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:14 pm

Just requested an add on instagram. I'll hit him up for a few more questions. Thanks for the heads up!
As soon as my suspension gets here, I'm getting the thing aligned and putting it on the road so I can visit some shops.

My first thought was to do a blow-in. However, with the quantity of imperfections and how there seems to be one on almost every panel, I may just do a whole paint job. If a quality shop can convince me otherwise, I'm game. If I can save money and have it look prime, I'm in.

I got the car for a steal at $17k. With that price came a history however, so it will never fetch top dollar. It has a rebuilt title from water damage in 2004. Who knows how major or minor it was, I'll never know. It was either not too bad, or was stripped down to the shell, because the car is pretty much perfect anywhere I look. It also explains why the interior is nearly perfect looking, apart from the seats which are a bit faded. I'm told the seats are pretty rare and I don't believe they are factory. So they probably replaced the carpet and bought a set of used seats.
That's the long way of saying, I'm not terribly worried about keeping it original. :P
Dreamstate

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:57 am

You know you're a true car lover when a bit of context goes a long way.

I think you've got a great driver on your hands, which is going to make for such an enjoyable ownership (vs a low mileage example that needs a ton of overdue recall maintenance).

I'll keep my ears and eyes open for any other shops that might be able to procure high quality paint service at non-highway robbery rates.
mushroom_curry

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:58 am

PS can't wait to see the wheels you picked up on that car.
mushroom_curry

Postby Dreamstate » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:23 am

I stopped by the recommended paint shop yesterday and it is a super nice shop. Huge floor to ceiling viewing window with seating so you can actually sit and watch them work on your car.

The pricing is very very good. Just waiting on some first hand experience to see what the quality of work is like. Google reviews are all 5 star and they have some experience with older 911s.

Dreamstate

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:13 pm

Awesome!
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
Maraschino Larry

Postby mushroom_curry » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:20 pm

Hey that's a great update!
mushroom_curry

Postby tripwalking » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:30 am

Wow, nice shop! Impressive.
Collector of Kartell relics.
tripwalking

Postby Dreamstate » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:29 pm

The shop has been keeping me in the loop on the work they have been doing.

The crunched rear fender has been mended. The kink in the fender crease also caused a ripple fore and aft of the fender, near the bottom of the car. That has also been taken care of.

When they were checking out the car, they noticed the driver's door wasn't opening and closing as smoothly as the passenger side. Something I knew, but thought I would just have to adjust the striker. The door was slightly tweaked and they took the opportunity to even out the gaps and correct the door feel.

There were so many small dents all over this car as you can see. Since it's originally a Florida car, there was no rust to speak of apart from the start of a bubble roughly 5-7mm in diameter on the lower passenger side near the window seal. I had them pop the window out to make sure it wasn't any more advanced than that. Thank goodness I did, there was a section about 1.5" long that needed attention before it got out of hand.

It should be ready by the end of next week. :D
In the mean time we moved into our new house and I started getting the garage ready by insulating, drywall, paint and also epoxying the floor. Now to find some cabinets for the corner and then a garage sale to get rid of a lot of junk that I have been hoarding for no good reason.

Dreamstate

Postby professor science » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:27 pm

Good news!

Can't wait to see this thing tucked away in there. Perfect spot for it.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby mushroom_curry » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:59 pm

Wowow... Looks good!

Who did you end up taking the car to in the end?

SO good to know exactly what's going on under the paint and have it addressed. Looks like it's all pretty damn good! Really happy for you. :)
mushroom_curry

Postby Dreamstate » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:11 pm

I ended up going with the shop pictured above, as recommended by your friend.
SMART Automotive in Milton.
Dreamstate

Postby mushroom_curry » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:47 pm

By your description, it sounds like they are really thorough and diligent. Really nice to see how they're minimizing the footprint of the work being done.

Any details on the shop owner or techs? Are these guys just a group that has assembled to do good work?

Excited to see the end result man. Again, really happy for you and happy that you're going this route!

#stokedforupdates
mushroom_curry

Postby mushroom_curry » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:59 pm

Yo man pictures
mushroom_curry

Postby Dreamstate » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:22 pm

Hold on.

SHEESH.
Dreamstate

Next

Return to The 1%