Unnamed

Moderator: Dreamstate

Unnamed

Postby Dreamstate » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:58 am

A dream came true for me this weekend.

More pictures to come. On my way home from Sudbury today after a rather long drive yesterday.
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Re: Unnamed

Postby professor science » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:18 pm

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Congrats man!!

BTW totally unfair to tease without details.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
Maraschino Larry

Postby Maraschino Larry » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:48 pm

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Dreamstate » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:00 pm

Sorry! I tried really hard not to Steve this reveal. Haha.

Got home a little while ago and sorted a bunch of parts.

Let me switch to a computer to write the story..
Dreamstate

Postby Dreamstate » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:04 pm

So the day I posted meeting up with the Litt brothers was a kind of a coincidence. We were both meeting a guy in Milton that was selling his black 1990 Carrera 4. Turns out it was turning into a rust bucket and needed an expensive engine repair. I think I mentioned that elsewhere on the forums. This was my first drive with a 964 and I LOVED it, even though it wasn't the car I was going to end up buying.

A few days later I widened my search to 1989 and found an ad for a disassembled one in Sault Ste Marie, with poor pictures and worse punctuation. The pictures showed promise, so I asked for more info and additional pictures. The next day he sent me more pictures, every one of which were corrupted. This guy was not so good with technology. Oddly enough, this gave me some confidence.

corrupt.jpg

As it turns out, the car was disassembled and had partial body work done on it because the body shop he brought it to went out of business as they were working on it. He didn't trust any of the other shops in town and just decided to sell it as it sat. Conversations with him on the phone were very good. He had restored a few 911s in his time, currently had a 2002 911 Turbo and wanted to make more room in his garage for a Lotus Esprit turbo he bought. He told me the state of the car, other than the scrape on the driver's side (caused by a neighbor), the car was nearly perfect. His niece went by his place to take some more pictures with her phone and the interior looked nearly perfect. The exterior needed a body shop, but the work looked rather simple, and with a bit of luck, maybe the whole car won't have to be painted.

I made quick plans to drive up to check out the car on the weekend. Friday he called and said somebody would be there to see the car after me, they were coming from Toronto, but I had first crack at it. NICE. I told him to schedule the guy for the day after, because I would be coming with a deposit and didn't want the guy to drive 9 hours for nothing. Surprisingly, he told the guy not to come and that he would call him on Sunday.

Saturday morning I made my way on a lonesome journey all the way to Sault Ste Marie with the TDI and a bag of sandwiches and granola bars(thanks to Victoria!). About 2 hours from Sudbury I heard a *clunk* and a *bwaaaaaaa*, so I quickly pulled into a rest stop. I raised my front end and peeked under the golf to see that my exhaust had broken about 1 foot past the cat, right at a connection point. It was a really clean break, the rest of the exhaust isn't even rusty. I called Schmidt Motors and he graciously ran to the local NAPA and grabbed a few things and was ready with the ramps as I pulled into the driveway. A quick potty break and a little stick welding on a coupler he picked up and I was back on the road. Thanks a lot Dave!!

Upon arriving at this guy's house, I see his 911 Turbo, a Land Rover and a mid nineties convertible BMW. I walk up to the porch where he is sitting, we shake hands and he brings me to the garage. He has a double car garage, 1.5 deep. One side for his newer Porsche and a workbench, the other side for the 964 and a pair of new looking crotch rockets. I look over the outside of the car and see that other than the scrape on the driver's side, it's in excellent condition. I am stoked. I get inside and see that the carpets are in great shape as well. Not brand new looking, but probably 8/10. From my experience, the carpets are where most of my disappointment comes from. With heavy or careless use, they are easy to misshape, discolour and wear out. This carpet is the best I've seen out of all the 964s I have seen in person.

The seat's aren't in mint condition, but they are the turbo 964 seats, so I can work with them.

The Blaupunkt CD Cassette deck (!!!) still works and everything!

The trunk carpet was out so I was able to peek right down to every seam.. it looked almost new!

The whole car was still wearing it's original paint. From what I can tell, no body work has ever been done to the car. He bought the turbo wheels, the D90s were "ugly" and gave them away. :lol:

He gave me his extra parts, oil filters, exterior lights, gaskets, even a vintage momo wheel (stamped 1986) that I will be running on the car.

Turbo leather door cards are MINT!

I left him a depost of $500 and he loaded me up with about $6k of parts so that transporting the car home would be easier. He was very trusting! Now I'm just waiting until his truck driver friend gets back to him to see when he can get the car to me. I do have a backup driver in Sudbury that offered his services just in case that part falls through. :)

I've been typing too long, I may have left a lot out. Let me know if you have any questions!
Dreamstate

Postby Dreamstate » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:06 pm

The tail lights and center section he bought brand new in '06 and they are also in excellent condition.. something that the 964 I had seen 2 weeks earlier desperately needed. I looked up the price.. cheapest I saw was going to be around $1500. Ouch.
Dreamstate

Postby Maraschino Larry » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:16 pm

Awesome story, and I really like the way things have unfolded, sounds like a stand up guy. What's the mechanical story? Run well etc? Is it rwd?

I could be wrong but I think those are boxster wheels actually!

I'll have to clear some time to turn some wrenches on it with you... I'd love to see how these are bolted together :)
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby professor science » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:33 pm

AWESOME1 I'll get a new suit to wear when you guys are working on this thing. I need to put my best face forward. ;)

So happy for you, dude.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Dreamstate » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:12 pm

He is a cool, easy going guy. Deals ONLY in cash and doesn't keep any money in the bank. His wife rolled her eyes behind him when he told me this. She was funny, dealt with his quirks in her way. So I have to get the rest of the money in $100 bills. I hear banks need a few days if it's over $10k.

His father came by in his 90s Mercedes and poked around like old people do. I talked with him about old benzes and the "old country". I understood at least 60% of what he was saying. It was my pleasure to smile and agree with his stories. They were the perfect Italian stereotype, in the best possible way.
Dreamstate

Postby Dreamstate » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:39 pm

Car has 77,000 miles on it. 1989 Carrera 4, 3.6L, American car. Not sure from what state yet.
He made a point to do a cold start in front of me. It fired right up without hesitation. Just like it was a new engine. It pulls STRONG. MUCH stronger than the '90 I drove. It also didn't stall out or lacked torque down low like the '90. It was a much better experience. It feels so new.

He has upgraded the clutch, replaced the dual mass flywheel with a solid one, done the dual distributor vent update, etc. It looks really good mechanically. His ad said it was mechanically perfect, but he does all the work on it himself in his garage, so he doesn't have any service records. This is a sticking point with 99% of Porsche guys. After talking to him on the phone for a while and then again at his house, it's very clear this guy is not a bullshitter. Maybe in part because he is Italian and feels duty to keep his family name clean. Plus, letting me take a whole car load of parts after only giving him $500 shows a certain amount of trust in me.

I'll let you guys know when it arrives! I'd be happy to have you around when I'm putting it together!

Funny thing about the '89 Carreras.. *no* head gasket. Weird, huh? They start to leak like crazy if a head stud breaks. The car had been sitting in the same parking spot for 6 years he says.. just a handful of oil spots. None of them fresh.
Dreamstate

Postby Dreamstate » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:45 pm

I'm not super fond of the wheels, but they are fine. If I can get a set of twist wheels in the future, that's what I would put on it. They can be found pretty cheap.
Dreamstate

Postby tripwalking » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:33 am

This is awesome, Randy! So happy for you. Lmk if you need to use the lift.
Collector of Kartell relics.
tripwalking

Postby professor science » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:14 am

D90s? :P You already have some of those, no?

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:11 am

Put the stock Corrado wheels on there.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Dreamstate » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:48 am

I have the D90s on the Corrado. Was hoping that it came with another set :P

With any luck, I will hear back today about delivery of the vehicle through a friend of his. If that doesn't work out, I'm going to have to fly out there and meet Schmidt Transport and bring it home that way.

After a total of 18 hours of driving this weekend, I'm really hoping his friend can take care of it.
Dreamstate

Postby gregosh » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:34 pm

Wowwie wow wow! I always loved these things, I'm very happy for you Randy :D
gregosh

Postby Dreamstate » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Thanks a lot for all the support guys. I was pretty nervous about sharing this because of the stigma, but you guys understand better than anyone. :love:

Still a bit hesitant to have the neighbors see it, and especially at work, seeing that the guy next to me drives a clapped out Oldsmobile Alero and makes way more money than I do. Even with the old Benz I noticed people treated me a bit different because of it.. no matter if I told them I paid $3k for it. :roll:

Time to start clearing out the garage and get it ready for an occupant!
Dreamstate

Postby professor science » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:26 pm

We'd be the last people to judge. You should see how people react when I'm a teacher and I drive a BMW.

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:41 pm

Can't live your life based on what strangers think of you!

I can't believe you thought we'd care... The only way I'll judge you is if you start wearing hats and jackets and shit emblazoned with the Porsche crest :lol:
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby tripwalking » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:38 pm

I totally know what you mean... I told Sarah to park way down the street when she goes yard saleing :D. Please buy a Porsche hat.
Collector of Kartell relics.
tripwalking

Postby mushroom_curry » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:31 am

All caught up now! WOOT... congrats Randy :)
you won't curry any favours with me.
mushroom_curry

Postby Dreamstate » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:33 am

Dreamstate

Postby wide_load » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:04 am

Congrats Randy! Neat that it's a project car too!

Can't wait to see it in person!
Oh Hi Dere... welcome to my sig!
wide_load

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Dreamstate wrote:Image

:lol:
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Next

Return to The 1%