Take a seat

Moderator: Dreamstate

Take a seat

Postby Dreamstate » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:55 am

I have thoughts on what I want to do to the interior of the car. I'm not ready just yet, but want to start planning now.

A) Retrim the front seats. The cloth is sun bleached purple and the leather has started splitting at the seams. It's pretty much game over for the covers, so I have to figure out how I want them retrimmed. At first I was thinking keeping them stock looking. Perhaps I should do a subtle custom colour/styling. Black back and piping w/charcoal front? Black leather area w/patterned cloth? Stock retrim without piping? I could really use suggestions. Currently they are sport bolstered black leather with Porsche script cloth running up the center.

B) Half cage, bolt-in. I've seen two on kijiji in the last few months. Reasonably priced. Maybe I'll learn how to do leather trimming and wrap it on my own.

C) Ditch rear seats? If I go half cage, it would make sense to put an RS carpet kit in place of the rear seats. Who uses the back seats anyhow?

D) This hinges on ditching the rear seats, and if I do, RS door cards. I have seen tasteful integration of speakers as well.

E) For sure, prototipo or similarly styled steering wheel. Speed holes make car go faster.

F) Tach gauge. Right now it has "custom" radar detector lights drilled into the face (thanks PO!). I'll be getting a dark grey coloured replacement face for it eventually. I really dig the look. Also, the dark grey could tie into the custom seating somehow.

Thoughts/comments/ideas/criticisms welcome!
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Re: Take a seat

Postby Dreamstate » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Trying to figure out how to contact Shamiah

Dreamstate

Postby Dreamstate » Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Dreamstate

Postby Dreamstate » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:59 pm

Shamiah came by today and had a look at the seats. He loves what's going on with the car so far and advised against doing a partial restoration of the seats. He would purchase 2 hides and wrap the whole seat in leather, piping delete and double stitch the seams like the rest of the interior of the car (knee pads, door cards). Now I just have to choose the fabric for the center.

I think you all understand what I like for styling. Pretty reserved, OEM+. The porsche script material, while factory equipment, doesn't speak to me. After seeing what they look like in good condition I've started considering other options. If the front cloth doesn't match the rear seats, no big deal.. PO sent along a set of all leather rear seats with the car. I can put those in, or I may remove the rear seats altogether in the future. That said, I have a decision to make. I want a material that adds a little fashion to the interior, but I won't roll my eyes at in 10 years.

Something I had considered is do an RS seat style. All cloth seating surface with leather sides and back. It could look great with the right fabric.

Next up is a tweed with a chicane style pattern. Darker colour though I think.

Houndstooth I have almost crossed off the list.

I'm really starting to lean towards a dark grey plaid. This might be my favourite out of the bunch.

Or go disco :lol:

Dreamstate

Postby mushroom_curry » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:47 am

While plaid works, I feel like the casual vibe it lends could clash with the cage and RS door cards.

A heavier tweed weave would look good. But be careful to get something with a flat stitch and something more synthetic or "smooth"... the stuff I got is much more "rough" so it will probably start to fluff up a bit after much wear and tear.

I had to go this route to match the door cards a bit better tho.

I don't think the all cloth upper will work well over the years. I'd be really scared about two materials meeting over a bolster foam... especially ones that are handled so differently.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
you won't curry any favours with me.
mushroom_curry

Postby Maraschino Larry » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:37 pm

If I didn't see the picture of the plaid and it were described I would have probably gagged...... But I actually really like that too.

I was going to suggest disco lol... I wonder what that would look like after getting a dark grey dye bath
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
Maraschino Larry

Return to The 1%