Almost not there...

The family heirloom.

Moderator: tripwalking

Almost not there...

Postby tripwalking » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Hi.
I'm considering parting out the heirloom... realistically it's too far gone to put any more money into it. Needs new metal around shifter box (can't touch plastic around shifter boot or tunnel for more than a few seconds, or you'll seriously burn your fingers), big hole in driver rear strut tower, clunk in front end, rear engine mount is just sitting on crossmember, needs new rockers, hatch, metal work around tail lights, rust repair around rear windows, hatch glass, on and on.

I love driving it - still can chirp into 3rd, but it feels like I'm on borrowed time. Anyone else get that feeling when you know something's at the end but you don't completely want to let it go? I get way too attached to cars (see mkiii golf & passat) and I'd apparently rather let them rot than sell them.

So, I'm thinking if I can part the Golf out and maaaaaybe get the Passat back on the road, I'll either drive that or move it along for a vr6coilbracket.com shop car. With a VR6. And a snail. And black. 8)

I need y'alls help pricing some things on that car. Interior specifically, as I think at this point it's the most valuable piece :lol: . I was thinking I could probably get something for the complete VR6 -> MKII wiring harness too? Rear package tray is mint. Sunroof? I might hang on to the engine for a future hot rod project... carbs, etc.

Thanks guys.
Collector of Kartell relics.
tripwalking

Re: Almost not there...

Postby Dreamstate » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:07 am

Best bet is to see what is posted on the vortex and price accordingly. I'm not sure what the pricing is like nowadays though.

OR just use a hammer and a spot welder/rivet gun to Frankenstein fix the thing and run it rough. That can get you another couple years out of it, having fun while doing it. I bet we could get the shifter box heat problem fixed and a number of other things in just a few hours. I would be willing to help, and I have some exhaust wrap blanket left over after a project that could take care of the problem. Just a thought!
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Postby mushroom_curry » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:47 pm

Exhaust wrap, some riveted sheet metal and Great Stuff filler?

I vote fix it and run-it-rough since it's running.

You would VR6 swap the Passat wagon?

If you can take snaps of the interior, I can help you bang together a price list you can throw up on Vortex?
you won't curry any favours with me.
mushroom_curry

Postby tripwalking » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:51 pm

No, I wouldn't VR6 the passat... just get it back on the road as-is.

Still thinking about it anyways.
tripwalking

Postby tripwalking » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:34 pm

Since I got the Passat running, I've been having a heart to heart with myself over the Golf. I really like the car, but I can't have two plus the Benz.

About a year ago, one of the previous owners expressed interest in buying the Golf back. I contacted him and he's thinking of it for a winter project.
tripwalking

Return to MkII Mystery Theatre