Memory lane

Moderator: mushroom_curry

Memory lane

Postby mushroom_curry » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:03 pm

1985 Jetta coupe VR6

Goods: VR burble, loved the colour, single rounds.

Bads: Horribly heavy wheels, terribly tiny brakes, shit paint (was painted green, then blue, then grey), held water everywhere, wiring nightmare.

Overall: A bit of polish on those big ass wheels and you felt good sitting behind those single rounds cruising slowly through the main streets of boroughs with that VR burble... them 5 spokes spinnin slowsz.

Sold because: Wiring nightmare... blew a few fuses... pulled everything apart... gave up.

1994 Ford Probe GT 2.5L 24V V6

How it started (check out that light spraying of tint on the front turn signals!!). Also ditched the fog lamps because I thought they cluttered things up a bit.

Test fitted some wheels my friend got, but didn't like them

Then I stepped up my game and got some Ksport coilovers, joey modded the turn signals and got a front lip

Got some black "late shape" 1998 GT-S side view mirrors. Car was arguably the most "balanced" and fun at this point

"Sleepy eye" mod. Tapping the factory fog lamp switch would get the lamps to come up in "stages". Turning the headlamps off caused them to open to full and retract to closed position in one fluid motion. Was quite fun to have that adjustability on the fly

Then came 6000k HIDs (roll eyes)

Shortly after the pic above was taken, the auto tranny blew for the 2nd time. So I proceeded to buy a Probe that ran well and was owned by a friend's brother as a manual transmission donor. Doing this on my own SUCKED, but I learned a lot.

Grabbed some Sportmaxx XXR 006 'cause I thought they would be dope. But the lips were made out of pop/tin cans it seemed and would bend if you dropped say a lug nut on them. Also they were SO HEAVY that the car felt like it had 4 passengers and a tank of gas. Braking suffered too, so they were sold. Looked dope though.

15mm spacers out back

After ditching those wheels I wanted something light and OEM+. Everyone sought after the 16" FD RX-7 wheels because they were light and looked half decent. But 17s were a better size for the car, and it turned out the 1999 RX-7 in Japan came with curved spoke 17s that had a bit of a lip to them in staggered widths (8s and 8.5s) Memoryfab had a set and I jumped on em! Loved them to bits!!

Greddy SP1 exhaust. Full 2.5inch. This engine + this exhaust = music all the time. Igarage sticker placed to hide my being ashamed of the Ford symbol at the time. Oh also installed the later (1995 onward) GT tail lamps.

Had an upholsterer make me a shfit boot boot out of heavy grain leather. Sony phantom face deck cleaned things up too.

Last pic of the cluster before new owner picked her up (I drove it maybe 25,000kms and blew 3 distributors and 2 trannys. POS)

Installed this a week before selling. Surprisingly, it helped out a ton (the car used to creak/twist when you went up onto driveways at an angle)

Goods: Best handling car I've ever driven (not a surprise given reviews when it first sold), unreal exhaust note (mix between VR6 and G35), girls liked it, air conditioning, sunroof, coilovers with a wild spring rate = fun. Was clean clean clean inside and out and I kept it that way.

Bads: Hated anything less than premium fuel, felt sluggish, ate two auto transmissions (causing me to convert it to manual in my driveway), ate 3 distributors (design flaw, ignitors kept failing, should have gone to msd?), horrible HORRIBLE fuel mileage.

Overall: Was an awesome car to drive, was awesome too look at less a handful of questionable lines, but in the end you hated telling everyone you drove a Probe.

Sold because: Changing to the 4th distributor in the rain on a cold night at the side of a road sucked. Should have bought a grounding kit to beef up the grounds and just gone MSD. Would still have it today if I had done those two things!

1992 Jetta GL

Bought from original owner. Self explanatory car (wheels/drop).

you won't curry any favours with me.
mushroom_curry

Re: Memory lane

Postby Maraschino Larry » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:46 pm

:)
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
Maraschino Larry

Postby wide_load » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:14 pm

Oh Hi Dere... welcome to my sig!
wide_load

Postby professor science » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Damn. That looks good!
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby mushroom_curry » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Vette wheels?
Been thinking about them Ford Probe days a lot in the last month or so...

I really want this:
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Ford/Probe/N ... po=ShowCPO

and to pop in these headlights:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JW-Speaker-4x6- ... 1198231875

FUCK................so good.

To be 16 again :(
mushroom_curry

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:23 pm

Damn that thing is clean!!

They're SVT Mustang wheels.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 pm

.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:48 pm

That's totally me bro.
mushroom_curry

Return to Mad Curried Flava In Ya Ear