Lacing the Ghia

Lacing the Ghia

Postby mdmvisuals » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Here's the lacing process via iphone photos :)

Jesse and I are not painters or body men. We just love this shit as much everyone else does!

So with some questions to a few people I know that have done it before and looking at photos of some crazy designs, we came up with something and just got to it.

Also, this is how we did it. I dont know if it is the "proper" way to do this sort of thing, but this is the first time we both attempted this sort of thing.

Started with masking the entire car off except the roof and pillars.

I started with a bare metal roof, so I threw down some etching primer.

Then scuffed that, and threw down some high build primer... not sure if that necessary, but thats what the guy at the paint supply place said to do.

I wet sanded the high build (again I did it cause I wanted to, not sure if its needed.)

So this is where the brain needed to start working. I wanted the double border and that border had to be the same as the lace. so we sprayed the brown in the areas that we needed.

we let that dry and then with some 1/4" 3m tape (the purple plastic stuff) we laid down the squares. We measured and made sure our lines were all the same distances and what not to the edges of the roof and eachother.

after the measuring it was just eye balling it to what looked good.

With the lines down, it was time to spray the roof with the main base colour. I tacked cloth'd the roof and Jesse started spraying the whole roof and pillars.

we let that tack up enough and then pulled the tape that masked off the squares.

At this point I didn't have enough brown paint cause we veered off the orignial plan so the next day I grabbed acouple more cans of brown.

The next day, with the white definitely dry, we masked off on the inside of the squares. Doing this give you that border/seperation.

Once again, eye balling it. we used the inside part of the line as a reference for straightness and evenness.

Now the rest of the roof can be masked off again. leaving the squares open because thats where the lace is going to be.

LACE TIME!

there was a couple creases in the lace so Jesse's wife ironed them out.

Then we stretched the lace over the roof. I sliced the plastic on the windows and used the windows as the anchor. Duct tape was used, but I think that was probably over kill.

You want to stretch the lace over and have it as tight and close as possible to the roof.

With it in place you can spray!

We used spray cans for the whole thing so as far as technique goes, it was all Jesse. You want spray directly over the lace so it doesn't get underneath and ruin the pattern.

After it was sprayed, I think we waited 10 minutes(?) and peeled the lace off.

I dont have a photo of this part cause I was filming Jesse doing the shading step... but he literally just spray along the edges and did the fade. It was crazy.

Then we waited abit and peeled the masking off the roof, but not the whole car... just the roof and pillars.

Clear coat was then sprayed.

and this is what happened.

Hope this will answer questions and take some fear out of doing such a thing.

As long as you take your time and think about what you want it can be done. And this was all Rattle Can... the whole car has been Rattle paint.

It was so much fun laying down the lines and then peeling the tape off after the paint was laid. All around a very gratifying experience! I highly recommend it!

Cheers!!
Mike
mdmvisuals

Re: Lacing the Ghia

Postby Dreamstate » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:00 pm

Great write-up. Thanks for that! It's amazing what kind of results you can get with a small budget and some clever thinking.
Rick nearly convinced me to lace the old benz back in the day. I was a little afraid to screw it all up. Yours has really ended up beautiful. Can't wait to see it in person!
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Postby professor science » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:42 pm

That is so so so so so awesome. Thanks for posting the step-by-step. I like to get a picture into people's heads. That's going to look so damn great.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby wide_load » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Wow... Amazing results like you said. And such a unique look. :)
Oh Hi Dere... welcome to my sig!
wide_load

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:20 pm

Appreciate the detailed info, you guys are bloody impressive. The execution is phenomenal :mrgreen:
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
Maraschino Larry

Return to Technical Discussions