Automotive advancements

Automotive advancements

Postby Dreamstate » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:31 pm

How about a thread looking at the future of automotive mechanicals?

I found this fantastic article about an easy to install hybrid conversion that would work on any car.
50-100% increase in fuel economy! If it were only $3000 to upgrade an off-the-lot TDI, I would absolutely buy this!
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Re: Automotive advancements

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:01 pm

This (borderline) fits in here...

Why don't all filters have a nut on the end!?
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
Maraschino Larry

Postby wide_load » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:57 pm

Cost. When buying filters for cars I don't care about I will admit my choice is always the cheapest one. I assume this is how 90% of the planet operates as well. Unfortunate because the amount of random special tools I have laying around for oil chances is ridiculous.
Oh Hi Dere... welcome to my sig!
wide_load

Postby tripwalking » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:15 pm

I like the VW cartridge filters with the big hex on the bottom.

I have an automotive advancing invention if anyone has some money...
Collector of Kartell relics.
tripwalking

Postby wide_load » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:14 pm

I've got some change in my drawer at work? I need about $3.50 of it for lunch tomorrow though. :)
Oh Hi Dere... welcome to my sig!
wide_load

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm incredibly wealthy.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby tripwalking » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:34 pm

Cool idea with the brake drum...

Thanks guys. With your support, production is imminent. I can't remember if I've posted it or not, but it's basically a graduated tail light system that could help prevent stop and go traffic on highways by alerting the driver behind you with an obvious signal (an LED strip in the back window for instance) that would light up from the middle towards the outsides based on how quickly the vehicle is decelerating. An accelerometer could be used to send the signal to the light strip. If you're just slowing down a little, a few lights would light up. If you're jamming on the brakes, someone coming up behind you would see the whole strip of lights light up and would be able to react accordingly. This could either be an aftermarket add-on, or an OEM feature.

The method of brake lights (a light lighting up when you're stopping) seems to have hit a plateau... most systems have developed over the decades, but tail lights are somewhat stagnant. We've added lights (one light on low end model A's), to two lights, to mandatory third brake lights, but it seems like LED strips are now considered the latest development. Sure they're bright and stuff but they still only light up when the brake pedal goes down a bit. Seems like the tail/brake lights could be used for so much more...
tripwalking

Postby professor science » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 am

That would be interesting. I university I read a few papers on brake lights (LEDs vs others) and all suggested that the CHMSL (centre high-mounted stop light), provides adequate early notice. LEDs enhance this early notice because of they take a shorter amount of time to reach full illumination when compared to incandescents.

Newer european standards has the taillights/signal lights flash (msnbc article) to indicate emergency/rapid stops (you can see it on TopGear episode where they take the Fiat 500 SS Abarth on the track. Video here).

My concern would be that the time to interpret (the degree of lighting and so the acceleration rate) by the driver might actually increase the amount of time it takes to react and apply the brakes.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Dreamstate » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:37 am

I'm calling the thought police! When the Cadillac STS first came out and it had the trunk length light bar, I thought of the same thing. It doesn't sound like a difficult thing to implement.
Dreamstate

Postby tripwalking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:59 am

Yeah I've noticed some motorcycles have flashing brake lights, but I think it's more of an alert than it has anything to do withhowrapidly you're stopping. I bet within a length of time it would become 'normal'.
tripwalking

Postby Mandeep D » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:22 am

How about an intelligent system that has a receiver on the front of your car to interpret the brake lights of cars in front. The system would put on your brakelights (even if you hadn't stepped on the pedal), which would be interpreted by the car behind, etc... The signal of a quickly stopping section of traffic would filter back through traffic much faster.

I realize all cars in the chain would have to have the technology, etc.

Tuning / timing would be key of course...
Jetta Kartell - making the world more complicated one project at a time.
Mandeep D

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:42 am

re: DW's original idea- didn't that video Randy (?) posted of the new Audi lighting have a similar idea? It was something reactive to the vehicle dynamics...

IMO the technology behind this would be better paired with automatic driving aids rather than relaying the info to the human's eyes leaving it up to them to interpret it and react correctly. Ultimately it falls under accident avoidance and on flagship lux models we already have some automatic nannies. This stuff typically trickle's down so by the time you got the industry to adapt the next. gen brake lights it'd make sense to integrate with the emergency avoidance systems.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby professor science » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:24 am

Lux, I like what you're saying. I wasn't thinking of technological intervention.

What about flashing frequency with stopping severity. Couple that to photo sensors on other vehicles to detect flash frequency, either automate braking or increase the brake boost for those without automated braking protocols. Ideally the flashing would be visible, but it need not be. Flashing infra-red (IR) LEDs may perform the job just as well with existing tech.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Dreamstate » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:39 am

Taking it a step further, a car on the road could utilize a wireless broadcast that sent out GPS data including speed and direction to vehicles around it. Cars could do their own calculations and speed adjustments or suggestions of adjustments to the driver. The hardware cost for this would be insignificant.
This sort of technology would likely give privacy advocates an aneurism however. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable with my speed being broadcasted. Yeah.. let's just pretend this post didn't happen.
Dreamstate

Postby tripwalking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:47 pm

It's comical how little confidence we have in human ability lol
I think what it comes down to is a solution for people who don't use common sense. If I wanted to take a train, I'd take a train :)

The more confidence we place in technology, the less confidence we'll have in our own ability. Look into the future and see a kid getting his licence, and the teacher says "Did you know, kids, that people used to have to press the brake pedal in their automobiles by themselves? Aren't you glad you don't have to do that?" And the kid thinks to himself "wow, I could never press the brake pedal by myself!" Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself- it would probably take this next generation and possibly the one after before it would become common to get in a car, enter a destination, and it would get you there safely. Just came across this: https://www.kpmg.com/US/en/IssuesAndIns ... lution.pdf

I guess there would also be the potential for the system to be malevolently hacked, which could have quite a poor outcome.
tripwalking

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 pm

I don't disagree with what you're saying DW (we're all enthusiasts, it sounds like hell to me), but at the same time it's where things are headed. Look at the statistics about teenagers not getting their drivers licenses. The car as we know it will become a story we wax nostalgic about. Society is moving in a direction where we feel our time is better spent buried in our devices than piloting a vehicle for the sake of it. In a metro centre a train/bus/subway solves this issue, but for those more spread out the independence of a car is not going to be given up easily, but the act of driving is not worth preserving. We've already completely let ourselves go to trusting technology. From machines doing micro surgery to auto pilot on an airplane, it's proven to be more reliable than people. Look at the accident statistics of Google's self-driving cars if you need proof of that. The only accidents were due to human error.

Reinventing the wheel so to speak in changing something so universal as braking indication would take an incredible amount of re-education and reforming laws and regulations, and I can't see this being done when the link to accident avoidance/self driving cars is so obvious and already in motion. This is already being done for sake of allowing technology to take over; back to Google's cars many US states have made addendum to fully allow them on the roads.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Mandeep D » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:06 pm

My uncle has a country place
That no one knows about.
He says it used to be a farm,
Before the Motor Law.
And on Sundays I elude the Eyes,
And hop the Turbine Freight
To far outside the Wire,
Where my white-haired uncle waits.

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the Borderline.
Run like the wind,
As excitement shivers up and down my spine.
Down in his barn,
My uncle preserved for me an old machine,
For fifty-odd years.
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.

I strip away the old debris
That hides a shining car.
A brilliant red Barchetta
From a better, vanished time.
I fire up the willing engine,
Responding with a roar.
Tires spitting gravel,
I commit my weekly crime...

Wind-
In my hair-
Shifting and drifting-
Mechanical music-
Adrenalin surge...

Well-weathered leather,
Hot metal and oil,
The scented country air.
Sunlight on chrome,
The blur of the landscape,
Every nerve aware.

Suddenly ahead of me,
Across the mountainside,
A gleaming alloy air-car
Shoots towards me, two lanes wide.
I spin around with shrieking tires,
To run the deadly race,
Go screaming through the valley
As another joins the chase.

Drive like the wind,
Straining the limits of machine and man.
Laughing out loud
With fear and hope, I've got a desperate plan.
At the one-lane bridge
I leave the giants stranded at the riverside.
Race back to the farm, to dream with my uncle at the fireside
Jetta Kartell - making the world more complicated one project at a time.
Mandeep D

Postby tripwalking » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Wow, I didn't know some of those words... they were always vowel and consonant sounds in my mind from childhood!

I guess I just thought "more reddy, more stoppy" :D
tripwalking

Postby mushroom_curry » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:13 pm

Just skimmed the above but...

Doesn't BMW already sell vehicles in Europe that have a second set of brakelights that illuminate under hard braking?

If I'm stopped on the highway I do keep my hazards on.
Perhaps a device should detect entry onto a highway (or any road with speed limit above 80km/h), and trigger the hazards whenever the vehicle is stopped. Or heck yeah just even the turn signals illuminating a steady orange while stopped.
you won't curry any favours with me.
mushroom_curry

Postby Dreamstate » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:33 pm

This is awesome.

Many Rolls-Royce drivers are used to effortless speed between the big engines and smooth suspensions. The automaker's new Wraith coupe could iron out what few of those wrinkles are left through a clever use of GPS for the transmission. Its eight-speed ZF automatic gearbox relies on positioning to pick gears in advance, gauging the situation down to the exact stretch of road: it can see the need for a shorter gear at the upcoming corner, for example.
Dreamstate

Postby professor science » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:24 pm

That is awesome!

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Is this the future?

.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Dreamstate » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:16 pm

Nope, just an oversized ipad glued to the dash.
Like we need another reason to look away from the road.
Technologically, it's a great advancement. But in the time it takes me to turn my golf's heated seat to 3, turn off the a/c and set the radio to preset 4, you would have just found the controls for the climate control. There's some things that technology cannot improve on, muscle memory for physical buttons is one of them.
Dreamstate

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:55 pm

Agreed.... screams gimmick to me. Can't tell me glare wouldn't be atrocious too with that huge sunroof.

This was a good watch regardless:
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby professor science » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:22 pm

If the heating controls are always present, I don't think it will effect outcomes much. if you had to select the heating screen then temperatures and so on and so forth it would, of course, be an atrocious case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

professor science
Site Admin

Next

Return to Technical Discussions