Rant Thread

In a world of rules and regulations, in here, anything goes… except boobies :(

Re: Rant Thread

Postby professor science » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Rick, that totally is a parents right, but I know you to be someone who makes decisions based upon a rational thought process rather than sensationalist drivel propagated by mass media/celebrities.

If you don't mind me asking, which vaccination was it, and why did you choose not to have it administered?
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

Image
User avatar
professor science
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 5:28 am
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:03 pm

I'd be lying if I said I remembered which one it was... The decision was based on the severity of the ailment it's protecting against vs. the proven effectiveness of the immunization. The scales didn't swing far enough for us to feel good about it so we opted out. IIRC it was a fairly recent drug/formula as well. I'll see if Hayley remembers.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
User avatar
Maraschino Larry
 
Posts: 8907
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: HybridAyr

Re: Rant Thread

Postby professor science » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:27 pm

Also, I agree with Rick that Pharma is out to make money, but if it works they're going to use it to make money. If it doesn't work, they're not going to invest in it. There are, of course, patent/copyright issues that complicates this argument, but it's not that prevalent.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

Image
User avatar
professor science
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 5:28 am
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:38 pm

If alternative medicine can be so widely used/accepted yet is no more useful than a placebo (as you purport), there's no telling me prescribing medication to a patient that might not need it wouldn't see a similar psychological/perceived benefit. I would never question that the drugs aren't effective in doing that they are on the market to do, it's more the over-perscription of them to people that might not need them that is a concern.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
User avatar
Maraschino Larry
 
Posts: 8907
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: HybridAyr

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:42 pm

Since this is the rant thread, right in line with my last comment is the million dollar marketing campaigns for prescription drugs encouraging you to "ask your doctor" about their pill de jour. If I have an illness and there is a drug available to help me with it I'm pretty sure my doctor will come to ME with this info. There is literally no hypothetical situation where marketing specific medications to the public is justified/necessary/okay.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
User avatar
Maraschino Larry
 
Posts: 8907
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: HybridAyr

Re: Rant Thread

Postby professor science » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Also, I agree with Rick that Pharma is out to make money, but if it works they're going to use it to make money. If it doesn't work, they're not going to invest in it. There are, of course, patent/copyright issues that complicates this argument, but it's not that prevalent.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

Image
User avatar
professor science
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 5:28 am
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Rant Thread

Postby tripwalking » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:11 pm

professor science wrote:If it doesn't work, they're not going to invest in it.


Or decide if they can convince people it's a good thing to buy... I know, I know, the FDA regulates all that. Thanks FDA.

From the Centers for Disease Control website:
What are the symptoms of polio?
Up to about 72% of susceptible persons infected with polio have no symptoms. However, infected persons without symptoms can still spread the virus and cause others to develop polio. About 24% of infected susceptible persons have minor symptoms such as fever, sore throat, upset stomach, or flu-like symptoms and have no paralysis or other serious symptoms. About 1-5% develop aseptic meningitis with stiffness of the back, back, or legs, and in some persons increased or abnormal sensations a few days after the minor illness resolves. These symptoms typically last from two to ten days, followed by complete recovery. Less than 1% of polio cases result in paralysis of the limbs (usually the legs). Of those cases resulting in paralysis, 5-10% of the patients die when the respiratory muscles are paralyzed. The risk of paralysis increases with age.

Is polio still a disease seen in the United States?
The last cases of naturally occurring paralytic polio in the United States were in 1979, when an outbreak occurred among the Amish in several Midwestern states. From 1980 through 1999, there were 162 confirmed cases of paralytic polio cases reported. Of the 162 cases, eight cases were acquired outside the United States and imported. The last imported case caused by wild poliovirus into the United States was reported in 1993. The remaining 154 cases were vaccine-associated paralytic polio (VAPP) caused by live oral poliovirus vaccine (OPV).


Is the polio vaccine still mandatory if you want your kids in public school?
Collector of Kartell relics.
User avatar
tripwalking
 
Posts: 3263
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:07 pm
Location: Breslau

Re: Rant Thread

Postby professor science » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Maraschino Larry wrote: It seems that people are just starting to have their eyes open to concepts such as dietary contributions to long-term ailments, and using prevention as a form of treatment. Clearly, if you blindly followed this as your sole medical doctrine you would be equally as stupid, and I guess that brings the conversation full-circle. People can just as easily be swayed to that extreme and then you end up with news stories about infants dying because their parents fed them kale and almond milk right out of the womb.


I also see people treating proper nutrition as a good preventative measure. But I see people treating these alternative homeopathic treatments as equivalent to conventional medicine.

If you get cancer, no cabbage smoothie with hyper concentrated anti-oxidant slurry and elk horn velvet spray is going to remove the cancer. If you want to drink it because it tastes good, or you want to smoke weed to eliminate some of the pain that goes along with conventional treatment... Go for it. But I don't think it is wise to put all your eggs in one basket.

Approach everything critically, investigate your options, do what you then see as best.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

Image
User avatar
professor science
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 5:28 am
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:18 pm

^ Agreed... Steve Jobs is a great example of how badly that can go.

tripwalking wrote:
Is the polio vaccine still mandatory if you want your kids in public school?


Yes
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
User avatar
Maraschino Larry
 
Posts: 8907
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: HybridAyr

Re: Rant Thread

Postby tripwalking » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Notice to sellers of four bolt 16" wheels in Toronto: make sure they're not 15" wheels before you tell someone twice they're 16".
Oh well. Got them all for $50.
Collector of Kartell relics.
User avatar
tripwalking
 
Posts: 3263
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:07 pm
Location: Breslau

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Dreamstate » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:52 pm

*facepalm*
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
User avatar
Dreamstate
 
Posts: 7616
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:56 pm
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Rant Thread

Postby tripwalking » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Notice to sellers of 235/45-17 tires in Guelph: please make sure there are no huge cracks in the sidewalls and please don't be 25 minutes late to your own appointed time.
Dude: "oh I work at a dealership and those are fine. They're z rated tires man."
I cautioned him about selling the tires with cracks in them and he said people should know what they're buying. Worst day ever for buying automotive items.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Collector of Kartell relics.
User avatar
tripwalking
 
Posts: 3263
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:07 pm
Location: Breslau

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Maraschino Larry » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:11 am

Ugh... I feel you man. I once drove to Burlington to look at a jeep that I asked a million specific Qs about before going... One of which specifically being how is the frame near the steering box. Without even getting out of my car I could see a literal hole in the frame in that exact spot. I nearly lost it.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
User avatar
Maraschino Larry
 
Posts: 8907
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: HybridAyr

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Maraschino Larry » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:50 am

.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
User avatar
Maraschino Larry
 
Posts: 8907
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: HybridAyr

Re: Rant Thread

Postby professor science » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:55 pm

Yeah. Fuck oilfield services, lets get people hooked on a game. Have them egg their friends on to play this game. Then make them wait to play it or pay to forego the wait. It's actually quite brilliant, just wish I had that idea.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

Image
User avatar
professor science
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 5:28 am
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Rant Thread

Postby professor science » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:26 pm

Topic: Teacher Evaluations based on test scores.

I have no problem basing teacher ratings on student performance, but I do have a problem with this...

@fnoschese wrote:Got our ratings today. Because of student test score results, it was impossible for any teacher at our HS to be rated Highly Effective.

@mremrich wrote:I find that incredibly difficult to believe. Not that what you say isn't true, but that at least a few of you aren't highly effective.

@fnoschese wrote:Most tchrs share school-wide exam scores. I understand why we do that. But this time students didn't do as well as previous years.

@mremrich wrote:May I ask who writes the tests/decides what's evaluated?

@fnoschese wrote:The state writes the tests. Regents exams. So it should not have been a surprise. Not sure why kids worse this past year.
State also mandates that 40% of our evaluation based on test scores, other 60% on observations. So due to test scores this year, [so] even if you got full 60% on the observations, you still couldn't make 90% for highly effective.

@mremrich wrote:but is it not possible that you were more effective this year than last, and other factors affected student performance?

@fnoschese wrote:Sure. It's a English exam and a US History exam given in 11th grade.

@mremrich wrote:so as a phys/chem teacher, you can't get "high. eff." rating due to scores in US History and English? Huh.

I'm sorry, but if your effectiveness is determined by someone else's output then your ratings system is flawed.

No Person Eve wrote:Hey Ford, you can't be profitable this year because Sears sold fewer Kenmore fridges this year than last.

If your students show a smaller improvement than in prior years in your subject, then I understand you not being rated as highly effective, but even that is riddled with uncertainty.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

Image
User avatar
professor science
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 5:28 am
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Rant Thread

Postby wide_load » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:31 am

This once again proves my points that schools, especially above high schools, are just businesses now.

Welcome to the world of ratings in a corporation. "We cancelled your project last year due to our production team not meeting numbers, and thus needing to run more production. But since your project wasn't completed, we cannot give you a high rating."
Oh Hi Dere... welcome to my sig!
wide_load
 
Posts: 1887
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:07 am
Location: Gwelf, Onterible

Re: Rant Thread

Postby professor science » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:31 pm

This guy is a high school phys/chem teacher in the US. Their whole "No Child Left Behind" thing is leaving a lot of children behind.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

Image
User avatar
professor science
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 5:28 am
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Maraschino Larry » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:59 am

I find the term "rescue" when referring to pet adoption to be completely ridiculous. Unless the kitten was in a rushing river, clinging on to a branch jutting from the shore line holding on with one paw for deal life when you found it, you bought a cat.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
User avatar
Maraschino Larry
 
Posts: 8907
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: HybridAyr

Re: Rant Thread

Postby professor science » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:48 am

It was just a used cat rather than a new cat. There are some pets that are rescued from abusive/neglected relationships, but I think those are in the minority of what you're actually selecting from.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

Image
User avatar
professor science
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 5:28 am
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Rant Thread

Postby professor science » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:49 am

And does that mean that if you're dating/with someone who was in an abusive relationship that you're dating a rescue?
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

Image
User avatar
professor science
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 5:28 am
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Maraschino Larry » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:16 am

Exactly... Hahaha

that should totally be a thing.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
User avatar
Maraschino Larry
 
Posts: 8907
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: HybridAyr

Re: Rant Thread

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Anybody who uses the term "crotch fruit" should have their genitals removed.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
User avatar
Maraschino Larry
 
Posts: 8907
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 12:57 pm
Location: HybridAyr

Re: Rant Thread

Postby professor science » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:53 pm

who the what is that?
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

Image
User avatar
professor science
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6360
Joined: Sat May 27, 2006 5:28 am
Location: Kitchener, Ontario

Re: Rant Thread

Postby mushroom_curry » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:47 pm

Maraschino Larry wrote:Anybody who uses the term "crotch fruit" should have their genitals removed.


Hahahahaha... that's actually a funny-mean term... you've just further spread the term.

professor science wrote:And does that mean that if you're dating/with someone who was in an abusive relationship that you're dating a rescue?


That really should be a thing.
you won't curry any favours with me.
User avatar
mushroom_curry
 
Posts: 5091
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:47 pm
Location: Portlandia

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron