Rant Thread

In a world of rules and regulations, in here, anything goes… except boobies :(

Rant Thread

Postby Maraschino Larry » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:13 pm

Maybe it's because I don't maintain a diary, facebook, or twitter, but sometimes I need to vent about random things. Feel free to join if you're compelled.

[rant]
Hayley is watching some stupid TLC show about this well to do young couple with a daughter that built a gigantic house (on a loan) as an 'investment' pre-market crash, and decided to get artificial insemination done because they weren't able to conceive a second child. Now they have 5 newborn babies (shock!) and a house they can't afford but don't want to sell at a loss. They have a diaper drive and the community contributes $6000 worth of diapers, and a team of volunteer nannies that cycles through the doors 24/7. They also go out to eat all the time, have a 42" LCD TV in every other room in this gigantic house among other luxury items... oh and now a freaking TV show.

Whatever happened to accountability for your dumb (or otherwise) decisions?? And why do these twats deserve hand outs when homeless people get shunned and unemployment is at a long time high? America is seriously fucked up.
[/rant]
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

tripwalking wrote:I'd be willing to split it straight up the crotch.
Maraschino Larry

Re: Rant Thread

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:55 pm

[minirant]

I only wish to acquire timeless items. I hate how the trendy goes to tacky then out of fashion.

I want a brand new MK1 , a beater MK2 , and a stone house with hand crafted furniture, with upholstery sitting on top of it that can be swapped out/reupholstered with ease.

If it's not timeless (to you, at least) why bother.

[/minirant]
you won't curry any favours with me.
mushroom_curry

Postby professor science » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:34 pm

I love all of the JK for these reasons. We seem to have some pretty level heads, and year for the quality available in the bygone days.

People these days pay more attention to branding than to quality.

Take, for instance, men's clothing. $2000 buys you one hell of a suit, or a shitty one. One is made off the rack by Armani, one is made to fit your body by a tailor. The one buy your tailor will look better, be constructed better and be made of better quality materials than the Armani.

But no one does it anymore, for anything.

The art of the craft is what I love. I think we all love it due to our thought process about vehicular modification.
Upgrade your grey matter 'cause one day it may matter.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:50 pm

Yeah that mindset really does extend out to other parts of your life.

It's like buying beef that was kindly hand fed grain and dried fruits versus brand name beef. Or eating fruits and vegetables that were locally grown and ripened on the tree/vine/etc. You'll be fed either way but you've missed out on the true essence of the meal.

Makes me happy to be far away from the GTA/Toronto where the majority mass consumes poor quality.

Life is a celebration not a race, we should learn to savour the smaller details and victories, and be proud of them.

I think that logic is diluted by mainstream American culture.
mushroom_curry

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:53 pm

For me I think it's being a product of our disposable society... There's something very special about something built with the intent of lasting forever. Craftsmanship and quality of materials take foremost priority, so there is little to no consideration to incorporate the fad de jour. I suppose it could also be argued that anything made with these attributes today will probably have that old world aesthetic as they haven't made items with these goals in a pretty long time, so they're usually based off of old shit to begin with.

As an aside, the paradox of people who choose to purchase 'green' products to help 'save the earth' but maintain the lifestyle of replacing everything in their lives annually (whether it be with 'green' products or not) makes my head implode. How about just buying something of quality, taking good care of it, mending it if needed, and keeping it until it needs replacement? Sometimes the way forwards is by moving backwards... somewhere between the industrial revolution and the move of everything's production to China society has really lost scope on what makes sense. It bothers me because things are so convoluted now it's nearly impossible to avoid perpetuating it. That is until the day that I inevitably go live in the woods.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:58 pm

I feel this quote should go here:

Many years ago Rudyard Kipling gave an address at McGill University in Montreal. He said one striking thing which deserves to be remembered. Warning the students against an over-concern for money, or position, or glory, he said: "Some day you will meet a man who cares for none of these things. Then you will know how poor you are."

-Halford E. Luccock

While money is a necessity, it won't impart quality on its own. There's huge wealth in embracing ideas and craft like you mentioned.

Wouldn't hurt to have a million tucked away though so I could afford to further support local farmers, merchants and other businesses... to live proper and be a slightly better example. :P

I'll take a moment here to say that this forum makes me happy that I love cars the way I do.
mushroom_curry

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:02 pm

Luxurious wrote:As an aside, the paradox of people who choose to purchase 'green' products to help 'save the earth' but maintain the lifestyle of replacing everything in their lives annually (whether it be with 'green' products or not) makes my head implode. How about just buying something of quality, taking good care of it, mending it if needed, and keeping it until it needs replacement? Sometimes the way forwards is by moving backwards... somewhere between the industrial revolution and the move of everything's production to China society has really lost scope on what makes sense. It bothers me because things are so convoluted now it's nearly impossible to avoid perpetuating it. That is until the day that I inevitably go live in the woods.

Very well put. Reading this made my day.
mushroom_curry

Postby professor science » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:21 pm

The constant cycle of stuff is so deeply ingrained in the current way of life that it's hard to break the cycle, which is why those buying organic everything, but buying shit organic everything have to buy it all the time.

The problem isn't new though. Even in the 20s, 30s, 40s, etc. the fashion houses were still producing trendy shit. Look at the size of the lapels and the proportions on some of the old shit and you'd be quite surprised at what is considered "classic". Over time quality goods are becoming less trendy and have found a way between huge lapels of the 20s and tiny lapels of the 60s into a nice overall proportion that isn't too slim or too huge to ever be out of style.

I think the problem with most people is that they don't see a need to buy quality. "Why buy something for $500 when i can buy something for $50 and just replace it if i need too. Maybe I won't like it in 3 months." Technology probably has something to do with it too. My phone's 18 months old and there are already 2 newer versions out there. Yeah it still works, but give it another year and new software updates won't support it.

Another thing is that many companies know that the only way to make money is to sell products. If you sell the best product that is timeless, never breaks and never needs replacing you'll always have to find new customers. The need for growth and prosperity is driving the companies to make things that are trendy and good enough to last until the next trend comes around... Saving money in development and making money by selling more.

It's an odd state we live in. One I'm guilty of perpetuating, though I'd like to break away from this.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn a person because they don't do what you do, or think as you think. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today...

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:31 pm

:heart: I feel a little bit more sane after reading these posts

You brought up another excellent point which often troubles my logical brain- how upside-down is it that it costs measurably more to support local business, and acquire local foods/ produce? I understand it's the price we pay for have everything for everywhere available all the time, but why import goods that ARE produced locally? It sucks that the consumer has to pick up the tab to support the local business, but there is no Mr. Sobeys and if there is he sure as hell doesn't know where Paris Ontario is on a map so they don't give enough of a shit to do what makes sense if it impacts their bottom line in any way. Fiscal sense takes ultimate precedence over common sense and this is where we are now. Factor in that the third world countries of yesterday are intertwined in every part of our modern society and pretty much the framework for even local business models, and the fact that the world's population has more than doubled in less that 50 years and I truly have no idea what things will become the norm by the time I die.
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:37 pm

dr. locktopus wrote:
Another thing is that many companies know that the only way to make money is to sell products. If you sell the best product that is timeless, never breaks and never needs replacing you'll always have to find new customers. The need for growth and prosperity is driving the companies to make things that are trendy and good enough to last until the next trend comes around... Saving money in development and making money by selling more.

Bingo. All the while pushing a green agenda... it's almost comical. However at this point I don't think blame can be laid on anyone/thing in particular. It's just the very interesting times we live in. If anything I think government should have a greater relationship with business, especially these mega companies. However I won't launch into that as I'm about 2 posts and 30 minutes away from an unintelligible commie rant.

Good night Kartell :)
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:42 pm

dr. locktopus wrote:I'd like to break away from this.

Let's all move somewhere pleasant and buy all the property there, and have food delivered by farmers (or grown there) and tailors come visit us for all our clothes. People with various skills could all move there and it could be self sufficient. We'd be supporting local business, and making it affordable as well because it would always be a "group buy".

A township (or a section of a town) of people who want to preserve the good.
mushroom_curry

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:44 pm

Luxurious wrote: If anything I think government should have a greater relationship with business, especially these mega companies.

Good night Kartell :)

The Wal-Mart debate... How evil the company really is.

Goodnight.
mushroom_curry

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:26 am

Felt this should go here:

Would be "Grand" to live at this house:

across from the house:

has a HUGE backyard, decent size garage next to it that could be made a much bigger, heated building with all the room out back.
mushroom_curry

Postby Dreamstate » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:12 am

I've parked in front of that house before.. right next to the "no parking" sign
Mercedes-Benz. The Cadillac of automobiles.
Dreamstate

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:17 am

Yeah that's my steez

PS: Ooh green on tan Sahara Wrangler! :ph34r:
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby professor science » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:27 am

Where's that? West Montrose? I feel like I've been there.

professor science
Site Admin

Postby Mandeep D » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:07 am

Dreamstate wrote:I've parked in front of that house before.. right next to the "no parking" sign

Me2 :)

How much is this place?
Jetta Kartell - making the world more complicated one project at a time.
Mandeep D

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:27 pm

Dreamstate wrote:I've parked in front of that house before.. right next to the "no parking" sign

Haha, the "Don't even THINK about parking here" sign.

dr. locktopus wrote:Where's that? West Montrose? I feel like I've been there.

Yeah West Montrose. It's a reference site for my project (Grand River survey) so I'm there a bunch.

House isn't for sale, though.
mushroom_curry

Postby tripwalking » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:36 pm

on the sustainability thing... I'm eating lunch made up of many veggies from our garden. I love watching the kids run out first thing in the morning in their nighties and bare feet to see how many snow peas or cherry tomatos have grown overnight. We just got ten more chicks, so egg production should be up in a few months. LMK if you anyone's looking for fresh brown eggs - we'll have about 15/day.

I hope my new website changes the world... just a little bit :)

[rant]
Warranty company currently denying claim for spark plug tube seals. When asked to give a yes or no answer to "If the tube seals are not there, will oil be contained within the valve covers?" he wouldn't give me a yes or no answer.

Warranty states that seals are covered if they contain fluids within parts covered under the plan. Item #7, Engine Parts: ...valve cover (s)...

How can they possibly deny this?? :evil:

[/rant]
Collector of Kartell relics.
tripwalking

Postby mushroom_curry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:48 pm

For what vehicle?
mushroom_curry

Postby tripwalking » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:16 pm

mushroom_curry wrote:For what vehicle?

Passat
Collector of Kartell relics.
tripwalking

Postby Dreamstate » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:25 pm

tripwalking wrote:
mushroom_curry wrote:For what vehicle?

Passat

W8 ( gotta be specific about this :lol: )
Dreamstate

Postby Maraschino Larry » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:32 pm

.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Postby Dreamstate » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:29 pm

I would be lolling if my eyes weren't looking up inside my head right now
Dreamstate

Postby Maraschino Larry » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:48 pm

I JUST WANT TO RIDE MY BIKE :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Fuck this winter 2.0... :cry:
.**CLUB.**
**.*SODA**.*

Maraschino Larry

Next

Return to Off-Topic